Friday, September 16, 2011

Just A Thought

In my "Children in Middle Childhood Years" class yesterday we were talking about cognition. We were discussing equilibrium and disequilibrium. Equilibrium is "A state of being able to address new events using existing schemes." Disequilibrium is the opposite of that, or in other words "A state of being unable to address new events with existing schemes." Children in this age range are really starting to develop new skills, and are starting to understand the world around them. Disequilibrium helps them do this. It pulls us out of our comfort zones and forces us to try new things. My professor said something that really hit me. She said, "You need to do something that scares you to death every single day." It got me thinking about myself. Sometimes I think I relish a little too much in my comfort zones. I tend to not like change, and fight it as much as possible. I have my normal routine that I enjoy. Mondays: FHE, Tuesdays: Taco Tuesday/Gym Wednesday: Pie Night/Country Swing Thursday: Night In/Homework and the weekends vary but usually consist of hanging out with the same people. I honestly can't say that I do something that scares me to death every single day. I don't want to look back on my life and have regrets. I want to live life to the fullest. There's a song on Lady Antebellum's new cd called "Friday Night." My favorite line in it says, "We can rock together let the good times roll forever. Fill up our cup make a memory drink it up. I don't wanna miss another minute." I don't want to miss another minute either. I can learn to step outside of my comfort zone, and embrace all that life has to offer; or I can stay in my comfort zone and always wonder what might have been. I choose to step outside of my comfort zone.

2 comments:

  1. A truck just about ran my car off the road. Does that count as being scared to death? You don't like change anymore than your father. You are more daring however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha if it made you feel alive then yes it counts. Yeah I'm not a fan of change but I can be daring. With doing something daring you have a stronger rush of adrenaline. And it doesn't have as long lasting effect as change does.

    ReplyDelete

Followers