Monday, July 23, 2012

Perspective

"Put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him." -Joseph B. Wirthlin. This past week has been quite eventful. I was able to go through the temple and take out my endowments on Wednesday, July 18th. My Grandma Patterson and Brittany and the kids were able to come down for it and they spent the week with us. It was so fun having them here. Orie and Bryce were super great and watched the kids while we attended the session. It was definitely much different then I had ever imagined. Going into it everyone tells you it will be different, but I guess I didn't expect that I would walk away wondering what the heck just happened. And of course Satan starts to work on you the second you step out the door. I felt like going through the temple set me back a little, and I began questioning if I should serve a mission. I thought how am I supposed to teach people the importance of the temple when I don't even have a testimony of it myself? Friday morning I was getting dressed and trying to find a shirt to wear when I just started bawling. I felt like none of my shirts were going to work with garments unless I didn't move a muscle the entire time I was wearing it. I've always been very modest and I got extremely frustrated with the situation. The thought entered my mind I could just slip them off and put on my old underwear. It would be no big deal. No one would ever know. But I knew that if I were to take them off then I would never put them back on, and this one decision would ultimately change my future. Luckily my mom came in and with the wisdom of a mother, she was able to get to the root of the problem. I was feeling guilty over the feelings I had been having. We discussed it and we decided that I needed to get back to the temple as soon as I possibly could. Talking to her definitely made me feel better. I was able to go back today and it was a completely different experience. My mind was put at ease and I was able to feel the Lord's love for me. I didn't feel like the terrible person I thought I was. I made myself relax and enjoy the feeling of the temple instead of focusing on every little detail. There is no room quite like the Celestial room. It is a great place to meditate and soak it all in. Had I not gained a greater perspective and knowledge for what the temple is, future generations would have been affected by this one decision... Another perspective changing thing happened this last week. My best friend Maddy, her husband died on Saturday. While camping a huge storm hit strong and fast. Mad was back at the campsite and Jesse and their dog had went fishing. When the storm came they took shelter under a tree and were both struck by lightening. Maddy went searching for them and was the one that found them. At the age of a mere 21 years old she is a widow. When I heard the news I couldn't even believe it. I can't imagine what she is going through. They've only been married a year. Last summer I was a bridesmaid at their wedding. They were just sealed in the Manti temple a month ago. Their lives together had only just begun. Poor Maddy my heart breaks for her, and I tear up every time I think about it. What a comfort for her it is to know that they have eternity. This is not the end for them, they have forever. I love her and admire her strength. She is so strong and will be able to get through this tragedy. It definitely puts the mundane trials of our daily lives into perspective. Remember the words of the Savior to Joseph Smith when he was suffering in Liberty Jail,"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high..." D&C 121:7-8. So, to get through life's hardships we support and pray for each other, wipe the tears, and carry on keeping an eternal perspective in mind.    

1 comment:

  1. It was the spirit that was wise not the mom :)And that is what will bring Maddy the most comfort... the Comforter in those times that only He can know her struggles. Our thoughts and prayers are with Maddy and the King family.

    ReplyDelete

Followers